Sunday, April 22, 2007

The Inimitable LaShawn Barber asks how many books do you own?

Now there is a topic that I could run on with for days. Truth be told, if I could do anything I wanted I would be happiest curling up with a book, morning, noon and night.

I usually have several books running at a time. Currently it's Vitruvius "The Ten Books on Architecture" and Emile Male "Religious Art in France of the Thirteenth Century", and there are always a dozen or so books on my 'next-to-read' shelf. Photo resource books on cathedral architecture are always at hand as research for my paintings. I'm also currently re-reading (for the ump-teenth time) my college textbook on Italian Renaissance Art.

Other than living a righteous life, there are only two things that a man can do to be like God. The first is to be truly creative. The second is to always seek wisdom and knowledge. God is the beginning and end of creativity, and he has all wisdom and knowledge.

Any man who wants to do good in this life could find no better place to start than to seek after knowledge and wisdom.

Proverbs 4:6-7 Do not forsake wisdom, and she will protect you; love her, and she will watch over you. Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, [a] get understanding.

Proverbs 19:8 He who gets wisdom loves his own soul; he who cherishes understanding prospers.

Proverbs 23:23 Buy the truth and do not sell it; get wisdom, discipline and understanding.

(all NIV)

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home