Thursday, July 03, 2008

The Right Brush

Painting in acrylic is murder on brushes. An average brush lasts me maybe one year, sometimes two. As a result of this, I had been loath to try more expensive brushes, like Kolinsky Sables, even though I wanted the level of control that such a good brush brings.

Never the less, I broke down and bought a set of Performen Kolinsky brushes by Creative Mark from Jerry's Artarama when they were on sale...

... last summer.

Even though these are not very expensive (especially for Kolinsky Sable, which can retail for between $400.00 and $700.00 per brush for the larger sizes), I was still uptight on using such a brush and automatically condemning it to an early death.


Well, I bit the bullet yesterday, and started using them.

It was amazing! They hold more paint, so that I can do longer strokes and cover more in less time. They have excellent control, allowing me to pull long lines and to accurately pull an edge. And they rinse and wash out better and easier than any brush I've ever owned.


Just goes to show that there is no substitute for quality.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

That I have gone digital and also because of limited space these days.
I haven't done too much acrylic painting these days.

Heh, I'm lucky if I can get a brush to last through two paintings, though I've never shelled out for the more expensive brushes.......

10:21 AM  
Blogger Jerub-Baal said...

I have been wanting to do more digitally, mostly as research and initial rendering and concept work...

... but when I was training in the arts, they were still doing basic with punch cards.

I haven't yet caught up.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Jerub-Baal said...

Though, looking at your Flickr stream, we're fairly contemporaneous...

Nice Squire wagon!

4:23 PM  
Blogger Kendy said...

The content you have provided is pretty interesting and useful and I will surely take note of the point you have made in the blog.

4:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home