Monday, June 12, 2006

More 'Found' Images

One of the treasures every family has is the stack of old photos in a drawer in the livingroom/bedroom/where ever. Our photo pile is exceptionally large, as my Mom was the only child of her generation from her dad's side of the family. As a result, the typical splitting up of photo albums and framed stuff never happened, and two (maybe three) generations of collected photos went directly to her. Over the last few months, I have been slowly scanning in stacks of this family history, which is the main reason I went to the expense of a new scanner, capable of slides, and a new external 320 gig hard drive. Between family stuff, old book illustrations, my artwork, and family pictures of my wife and kids, there are now 2486 images on my Flickr site. This has barely scratched the surface. (If you are not a member of Flickr, you can find my stuff by searching for "Jerub Baal" from the main page.)

One of the neat little finds was a box of images from the New York World's Fair of 1964. These are official slides that were sold as souvenirs. I am thinking of passing them on to one of those digital research repositories on the web. For now, here are a couple of the most beautiful shots. If anyone is a legitimate historian of New York City, or World's Fairs, or the 1960's culture or the like feel free to contact me for additional information.

Electric Power and Light pavilion



the Fountain of the Planets at dusk



the Unisphere and courts



the Eastman Kodak pavilion by night

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home