Monday, September 11, 2006

the Long Kiss Goodnight vs The Lord of the Rings


One is a fantasy, and one is emblematic of the post 9/11 world.

Which one we as a civilisation choose to be which may define whether we survive or not.


(Edit Note I originally used The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe instead of LOTR, but I think the latter is a more compelling example of the individual's responsibility to face the truth and to fight evil, and now you obviously know my view of the above comparrision.)

(Edit Note 2 After talking to two friends, it is apparent that my choice of 'the Long Kiss Goodnight' was more than a little arcane. The specific reason for using TLKG is the following exchange, between Samuel L Jackson's character, Mitch (supporting to Geena Davis's leading role) and the Director of the CIA, Leland Perkins.

Mitch: "Your telling me that you're gonna fake some terrorist thing just to scare some money out of Congress?"
Leland Perkins: "Well, unfortunately I have no idea how to fake killing 4,000 people - so we're just gonna have to do it for real. Blame it on the Muslims, naturally. Then I get my funding."

The premise behind the central conflict of the movie sounds so much like the wingnut conspiracy theories behind 9-11 that it could almost have been lifted whole-cloth and dumped onto Indymedia.)

Labels: , , , , ,