Saturday, January 14, 2006

Backlash!


No less than David Byrne is calling for a boycott of the major-label music industry.

I was looking forward to buying Aerial by Kate Bush...she's on EMI. Time to rethink. If the esteemed Mr. Byrne (who's lifeblood is music) thinks this is an issue, then I'd say it's worse than I had thought.

Damian Kulash of the band OK Go says his piece, and it begins "DRM just flat out s**ks!

David Byrne has a list of the "shocking top 20" disks, which I think are all Sony/BMG. I can't seem to find a list of EMI disks affected, but Damian Kulash says that the effective date for EMI's DRM being loaded on every new release was the date of their last album's release (he says that for some reason, OK go's album sneaked out the door without copy protection). Looking on Amazon OK go's latest release seems to have been August 30th.

Well, another reason to save my money.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home